Monday, September 19, 2011

Flower Talk

  We just got back from an incredibly busy - and fun - weekend cheering on my youngest as he battled it out on the soccer field during a fall tournament in Traverse City.  We returned hoarse from fall colds, water park excitement and lots of sideline yelling!  As a natural introvert, I was craving solitude desperately by Sunday night.

As much as I was looking forward to being home, my stomach clenched a little as we drove in the driveway.  With a first time house sitter, and I was nervous about the "energy" that would be left behind.  I am very particular about who is in my "den", and instinctually sense the change in my space when someone has visited.

I think we all do this on some level whether we notice it or not. Most of us can recall a time when we walked into a room and felt that something was "off", or felt a sinking feeling when entering a particular building or house.  It is an evolutionary throw-back that protects us from emotional and physical harm, though we can't often name it.

Imagine my delight when I came in to several freshly picked garden bouquets scattered throughout my kitchen!  My spirit was instantly lifted by the bright zinnias, black-eyes susans, sunflowers, and cosmos smiling at me from vases and glass milk bottles.

It reminded me of the great novel I am currently reading, The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.  It got me thinking about the meaning behind those cheerful bouquets, and what my own garden might be saying.

There is a great website, http://aboutflowers.com, that gives the Victorian meanings for certain flowers.  Here is what I found:

     Zinnia - Thoughts of friends
     Sunflower - Adoration
     Cosmos - Peaceful
     Black-Eyed Susan - Encouragement

What a great welcome home message!

Here are some others that are in my garden:
     Lavender - Mistrust
     Hydrangea - Perseverance
     Peony - Healing
     Aster - Contentment
     Gardenia - Joy

Rose's messages are by color; Red for Passionate love, Pink for Friendship, and White for Purity.  There are flowers for luck (Stephanotis), and flowers that send a warning (Rhododendron).  In Victorian times, each flower was carefully selected to tell a story to the recipient.  Women would often agonize for days over the hidden meaning in a bouquet from an admirer.

For me, I am going to take the flowers at face value - a welcoming treat from an adoring friend that added a special peacefulness to my home.  Thanks Andy!

3 comments:

  1. silly little thought that popped into my head. all the hubub last week about Madonna hating hydrangeas and yet they stand fro perseverance -- something Madonna has in spades.

    lovely blog -- looking forward to reading the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *for* perseverance (i iz a edater, after all)

    ReplyDelete