Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Fall"-ing off the cliff

I am beginning a new chapter in my life, and it is only fitting that the change happen in the month of September.  As the calm waters in the big lake begin to churn with the fall winds, unearthing rounded stones polished by blowing sand, so too is my life.

Growing up, September was a time to say good-bye to sleeping in, the front porch in my pajamas, and the carefree sunshine on the pond where I fished almost daily.  Replacing worn shorts and tanks were stiff corduroy jeans that "zwiffed" as I walked, the unfamiliar weight of a vinyl smelling backpack on my shoulders, and a slightly soggy peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.  Over the years, elementary school morphed to junior high with it's awkward glory, then the growing independence of high school and college.

In September, I left my parents home, mourned the loss of my beloved grandmother,watched the twin towers fall in horror and disbelief, and had my heart wrenched from my body as we returned a five day old baby to his birthfamily.  I have started new jobs, new schools, and welcomed hundreds of new students to Kindergarten.  It has been a month of unimaginable loss and indescribable joy; unspeakable fear and immeasurable hope; shared terror and unspeakable personal pain.  I look to September with both excitement and trepidation, knowing that something significant is always on the horizon that will rough me up and bit before spitting me out more polished and refined.

I am excited to share this journey with you, because I know that there will be celebrations and frustrations along the way.  This blog is my way of documenting the momentum of September.  There will be times when I need my friends to throw me a life ring, times to bask in the sunshine.....and probably times when I will need a shovel as well!  I promise they won't all be so wordy - you can also expect to see practical tips for your home and garden, methods for group engagement and development, parenting reflections and ideas, and meeting survival 101 for both facilitators and attendees.

I'd love to hear what is on your mind, as well as your feedback - so welcome to my new blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment