Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Big "S"

When I introduced my husband to my blog yesterday, he told me that he doesn't typically read blogs.....Of course, he will read mine though because he wants to know what is happening in our lives!  When I asked him why, he said that he finds them "self-indulgent".


At first, I found that a little offensive.  Then I started to think about what the term "self-indulgence" really means, and why it is viewed in such a negative light.  According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the word "self-indulgence" means "[e]xcessive indulgence of one's own appetites and desires."  I would guess that the issue is with the "excessive" nature of the indulgence, but there is a lot of gray area in that definition as well.


As for the rest of it, I guess I fit.  I am unapologetically - for the first time in my life - going after my own desires.  I desire a more balanced home life, work that fulfills and inspires me, and reflective time to share my own learnings with others.  Can I really have an excessively balanced life?  Too much fulfillment or inspiration?  


I suppose that I could "hold back" on the sharing, and that is likely what he is most worried about.  Interestingly, I think that the sharing is the most important thing about learning.  In my life, there have been countless situations where I have had to make the decision about whether or not to share my personal story.  I have been fortunate to sit in many diverse circles over the years - circles of wise women and wide-eyed children, suited business professionals and weary parents, hardened social workers and beaten down teachers.  In each of these circles, I have chosen to speak my own truth and I have never been sorry.


I recently had an experience where a mom came up to me and told me something very personal that she has been struggling with.  She shared how hard it has been for her to talk about it because she was worried about the reaction that she would get.  I received the gift of her story because she knew that I had been there - and that I was not afraid to talk about it. I helped her just simply by being honest about my own experiences.


When we come from a place of authenticity and genuine purpose, our stories are never "excessive".  Our personal experiences join with others to form a collective knowledge that informs our families, our communities, and our world. 


How might your life be different if you took the time today to sit silently in your own space and really listen to what is in your heart?  What would it look like to share that with another?  How can you truly connect with another person in your personal or professional life?  What impact might that have on your life or work?



No comments:

Post a Comment