Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My "Thirties Bucket List"


I have been taking some flack lately from friends and family for creating what I like to call my “Thirties Bucket List”.  “You’re not DYING!”  - insert incredulous tone – “My life didn’t begin until my forties!”

I can’t say that I disagree with them – I am not planning on dying until at least 80, and hopefully well beyond.  That puts me at about my half-way point, which seems as good of a time as any to take stock of where I am compared to where I thought I would be by now.  It is an opportunity to reflect on where I have been, and where I want to be – then make a plan for the journey.

I have said before that women over 40 are different.  There is a certain confidence that comes from knowing that you can make it through almost anything, because in reality, you already have. 

I have logged a lot of miles – both literally and figuratively – since my early twenties.  I have been married, grown a career, nurtured my children, and have learned to live with a lot less sleep.  Some of it has been intentional, but most has been accidental.

So, here I am, almost at my life’s half way point.  I believe what everyone says about life beginning at 40 and I want to make damn sure that I am ready for it.  I want to jump in with both feet screaming “BRING IT ON!”.

In order to do that, I have some things I need to catch up on.  Hence the list – it is not because I think that my life will be over in 9 months, but because I know that a new day is dawning.

Here is my list:

Get paid for a decorating job
Run a 10K
Go to the dentist
Start college funds for the kids
Learn to ride a horse
Do something completely out of character
Get a tattoo
Host an exchange student
Wear sunscreen
Heal my shoulder
Own my personal story

As you can see, some of it is pretty easy – and some of it is going to take every bit of the next 9 months.  Some of it I have already started, and some I haven’t even thought about yet. 

In case you are wondering, I have already started the list for my forties…I thought a decade was a little more gentle of a timeline this time around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment